Monday, December 8, 2014

A Child's Perspective

An interview I conducted with my daughter about gender expectations and her personal experience and feelings.


Q:     What kinds of toys do you like?

                               A:     Umm Transformers, robot toys, dinosaur toys like on Doc McStuffins, dragon toys, play food, remote control toys, adventure toys.

Q:     What do you mean adventure toys?

                               A:     Like, those army toys.

Q:     Would you call those girl toys, boy toys, or just toys that you like?

                               A:     Those are toys that I like.

Q:     How does it make you feel when someone teases you and tells you those are boy’s toys?

                               A:     Umm, it makes me feel sad.

Q:     Why does it make you feel sad?

                               A:     Because I don’t like when people tease me.

Q:     Do you think everyone should be able to like any thing they want?

                               A:     Yes

Q:     Why do you think that?

                               A:     Because they want it and that’s all that matters.

Q:     Do you like princess toys too?

                               A:     Yes

Q:     When you were teased about your backpack, what did you want to do about it?

                               A:     I wanted to change the people that were teasing me.

Q:     Did you want a new backpack?

                               A:     Yes

Q:     Why?

                               A:     Because I don’t like it when people tease me.

Q:     It’s not your fault or your backpack’s fault that people tease you. Do you know whose fault it is?

                               A:     Their fault, or probably our parent’s fault, I don’t know which one it is.

Q:     Why?

                               A:     Because they’re the one’s that were teasing me and it wasn’t nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment